Friday, October 7, 2016

The autobiography of Mirza Abu Talib Khan Tabrizi-Isfahani [1796] (1885)

The autobiography of Mirza Abu Talib Khan Tabrizi-Isfahani




I was born in 1166 A.H., in the city of Lucknow. My maternal grandfather was Abu’l Hasan Beg Isfahani, who was among the associates of Burhanu’l Mulk from the beginning of his career. After that Nawab’s death he renounced the world and led a private life. My father was Muhammad Beg, who, having come to Hindustan entered the military service of Safdar Jang and won his confidence. On the termination of the struggles between the Afghans and Raja Nawal Rai, when Muhammad Quli Khan was appointed naib of the Subah, my father was appointed in his retinue.
A friendship and intimacy sprang up between them. For this reason when Safdar Jang came into this Subah, and Muhammad Quli Khan was appointed to Allahabad, my father, not wishing to part from him, went to Allahabad. After the arrest of Muhammad Quli Khan, Nawab Shujau’d Daulah endeavoured to conciliate my father, and maintained him as before in his civil and military charge. After two or three years, when the Nawab came again to Allahabad, and Mirza Najaf Khan fled from the camp, he distrusted my father also, and resolved to imprison him. My father, leaving all his goods and wealth on the spot, fled to Bengal. The Nawab confiscated two lakhs of rupees in cash and property belonging to my father, and placed a guard over me, who was then in Lucknow. After a short time, out of regard for my family, he removed the guard and supplied money for my education, and treated me with favour. After two or three years, when my father sent for me, he permitted me to leave and sent me to Bengal. My father died a year after my arrival in Murshadabad. Then Zainu’l Abdin and I spent five years honorable in Muzaffar Jang’s suite in Bengal, until Mukhtaru’d Daulah induced me to return to Lucknow.


Mirza Abu Talib ibn Muhammad — History Of Asafud Daulah Nawab Wazir Of Oudh [1796] (1885)


No comments:

Post a Comment